Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Prog Banjo Party



Anything, be it man, beast or otherwise, that describes itself as progressive bluegrass has got to be worth a look as far as I'm concerned. And when Man Aubergine are involved, it does exactly what it says on the tin - which for the briefest moment makes me think what came first, the music or the idea, but in all honesty, it matters not.

It matters not, because even if it is a pre-meditated, prescriptive approach, it works, oh yes, it works.

Now I'm no expert on the bluegrass, I'm still a bit afeared of the prog, and if I'm offending anyone with my rudimentary knowledge then you're on the wrong page, but we have banjos, and we have campfire harmonies. There are songs about bastard brothers, wrong twin sisters, and on Embalmed, possibly the love that dare not speak its name, between a cowboy and his horse.

Then, riding alongside, you get the time and tempo changes, the improv-sounding rhythm sections, the guitars and the chanting. It's enough to convince me that Earl Scruggs and Robert Fripp are long lost brothers.

It's best displayed on their just-about-cover of Home On The Range, which is probably making Dr. Higley turn in his grave, but turn on my man, turn on, because it's a beauty.

Man Aubergine play tonight at Barden's Boudoir, and are touring with Cleckhuddersfax from 5th of August, check the snazzy flyer for where and when. An imminent single is also due to rear its head in August or September on Run Of The Mill Records, which can be pre-ordered from here. Which you probably should do. If you can’t wait that long, hear more on their Myspace.

Man Aubergine - Embalmed

Man Aubergine - Home On The Ranger


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You have been marked on my profile map! Click to zoom-in.