Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Euro Riddims And Ting



When I’m feeling down, I like to cheer myself up by remembering that there’s a band out there somewhere called 77 who heroically defy the rules of dub reggae by:

a) forgetting to play dub most of the time and playing ambient instead; and

b) coming from ‘Poland’.

Check out the excellent Afterbeat label website for more ‘Polish dub’ download action – I recommend Youthman Steppa’s Occupation, and am especially enjoying the fact that he plays ‘in duo with his friend Mr.Connard’.

Of course, when discussing dub it’s the law to mention King Tubby and as such I’ve included a Tubby track called Morpheus Special.

Listen to the cunning way that he takes a perfectly promising soul bass line, then cuts 70% of the notes out after 12 seconds, and puts enough echo on to confuse a dolphin instead. Brilliant.

77 – [T_2]

King Tubby – Morpheus Special


Crisp Debris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You have been marked on my profile map! Click to zoom-in.