Friday, August 24, 2007

Under The Covers. Again.



Indulge me if you will as I return to the covers subject, or ‘Versions Ranking Over Original Music’ as I will henceforth call it, because VROOM is a cool acronym.

I recently came across 801 Live, a live album recorded way back in the hot, hot summer of ’76. 801 consisted of Phil Manzanera of Roxy Music, Brian Eno (formerly of the same) and a bunch of their extremely talented mates. It’s all a bit legendary because they only played 3 gigs – the third of which, at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, was the only one to be recorded. And thank the Lord it was, because it’s one of those gigs that makes you wish you had a time machine.

It’s basically a mish-mash of Manzanera and Eno solo tunes, but played tight ‘n’ funky baby with plenty of guitar madness thrown in for good measure. Check out Diamond Head for some sweet, sweet moods.

But to return to the VROOM – track 2 is a cover of the psychedelic classic Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles. Now, I don’t want to say it’s better than the original, because like punching the Queen that is simply not done – but I reckon it definitely rocks more. Take a listen and decide for yourself. Enjoy.

801 - Diamond Head (Live)

801 - T.N.K. (Live)


Crisp Debris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You have been marked on my profile map! Click to zoom-in.