Friday, September 14, 2007

Alone, The Sun Will Rise



Dear reader, I am abandoned.

Debris and Stardust have taken to the road to seek out the last festival of the year, whilst I remain here, manning the Tiny Dancing fort. Yes, I am abandoned.

But do not shed a tear for me, dear reader. I am a man resigned to my lot. And I have you, dear reader. I have you.

So, whilst next week Debris and Stardust will return no doubt full of tales of derring-do, scrumpy induced nightmares, and with the kind of unspoken bond between two men that only three nights under canvas with just wet-wipes to separate them from the beasts can bring, for now, join me as I cast a wistful gaze out of a window, quietly chuckle at an amusing memory of times long past, and listen to The Necks.

Normally purveyors of hour long jazz epics, on their latest long player Chemist The Necks have partially bowed to convention, and given us three 20 minute tracks of pretty much everything you can think of. Well, maybe not everything, but quite a lot.

Off of Chemist I’ve gone for Abillera, the last of the three tracks, and perhaps the most expansive. Starting with a few minutes of ponderous bass wandering, a haze of piano and guitar soon takes over, ebbing and flowing with the introduction of rhythm and synthetics, until at around 11 minutes the musical equivalent of a sunrise takes place, and euphoria carries us along on a wave for nine more minutes that could go on forever and ever and ever, and no-one would notice because they’d all be smiling.


The Necks – Abillera


Their back catalogue can be picked up from the shop on their site, and they tell us that they’ll be touring Europe in October. It is my deep seated conviction that this should happen.

You can also download a 25 minute live set from here, which has pretty much made my night.





008. Bearsuit - Welcome Bearsuit Spacehotel


Tiny Dancer

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You have been marked on my profile map! Click to zoom-in.