Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sing To Me Of The Man, Muse, The Man Of Twists And Turns



When I was but a child, I attended a rather select school for those who had been identified as having a ‘gift’. I do not wish to dwell on this overly – my stay at the school was short, following an unfortunate incident involving the ubiquitous ‘rat’ and the proverbial ‘drainpipe’ – but I mention it so as to recall the words my Housemaster said to me one glorious autumn day, in the shadow of the school’s great oak tree.

"Dancer" he said "do you know how you can measure the stock of a man?"

I shook my head, for I was forbade to speaking within his presence.

"By the quality of his muse, Dancer, the quality of his muse" he replied.

I stood quite still (for in my youth my mime skills were limited, and I knew not how to bodily invoke the universal action for ‘And?’), and accepted the cuff around the back of my head with all the humility I could muster.

Shortly after that, ‘rat’ met ‘drainpipe’, and I was sent from that most venerable seat of learning forever more. But those words stay with me to this very day. And now, I am forced to recount them once again.

John Lennon, it could be said, is measured by Yoko Ono. Dante Gabriel Rossetti by Elizabeth Siddal. Lenny Henry by Dawn French.

But how would a man be measured if his muse was a classic Sega motorbike kill-up extravaganza? Would that be so Wrong? Why, yes. Yes it would.

As is their wont from time to time, Wrong Musicians come together under a uniting vision, a common passion, a shared muse if you will. Previously, it has been Schwarzenegger. On this occasion, it is Road Rash II – that king of 90s console action, as leather clad man fought leather clad man, with mighty machine betwixt thighs, and bovine and porcine enemies all around. It was a glorious sight. And a glorious sound.

But that was then. And this is very much now. Very much.


DJ Floorclearer - Roadrash Gives Me A Throbbing Boner

Kyler - Hawaii Road Trip


Find more from these fine gentlemen in particular here and here. Respectively, like.

The remaining 14 tracks of RTA orientated noise-mash (and occasional quieter moment) can be got from Net-Lab, the superhighweb label of much Wrong-ness and more besides. God bless them.

Whilst we’re on the subject (kind of) of proper computer music, after a time of searching, I recently came across SID.Oth.4, a site of rare beauty which collects together the classic soundings from the video games of yore.

I’m a bit torn as to whether it’s nostalgia that almost made me do a little excitement wee when I found it, or an appreciation of the genius within, but in truth I am not really caring - I offer you Charles Deenen's opus for Double Dragon, but there are so many more up for the downloading, I am honestly close to tears.



Charles Deenen - Double Dragon


Some good stuff on SID chips and all that is here, for those who might take an interest. Just me then? Fair enough...


Tiny Dancer

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You have been marked on my profile map! Click to zoom-in.