Friday, October 19, 2007

Let's Go Outside



In an unexpected turn of events, I actually left the house last night, under the cover of darkness. It’s not something I do very often and so when I do, I try and get something out of it. In the past, this has led to trips to the hospital, and unwelcome excursions into Surrey. This time, I’m hopeful it will lead to one of the worst gig reviews of recent times.

To Heaven then, to see Von Südenfed. The first turn on were Chrome Hoof. But I missed them, because I was in the pub. I expect they were quite good though. Someone told me they were. Here’s one of their songs, so you can imagine what they might have been like.



Chrome Hoof – Pronoid


In a bid to make up for my tardiness, I might go and see them in a couple of weeks when they play at the Amersham Arms.



Or I might stay in.

Following a bit of Fourtet record spinning, which was generally unremarkable, the XeroX Teens did their 'The Fall for the 21st Century' thing. Barking vocals, programmed backing tracks, and a bit of mouth box action led to a decent half an hour, even more so when the soundman remembered to turn up the guitars. They’re out and about a lot lately, so go and see them, and be all cool and that. They played this.



XX Teens – Onkawara


One of their other songs, which I swear I’ve got somewhere but I’m arsed if I can find it, has a bit that sounds like the WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WHEEEEEEEEEE bit on Crazy Horses. Which is no bad thing. Check them crazy legs.





And so Von Südenfed. An unexpectedly wonderous union on their album, the crowd of mainly blokes in their mid-20s to mid-30s, dressed in dark clothing, and mostly attending on their own, eagerly wanted to see what it would turn out like live with the possibility that it could be a shambles shaken out of their system by a bass raping deejay set by Skream, which was rather splendid.

A table full of noise gave the matching polo-shirted (nice) Herrs St. Werner and Toma free reign to kick off whatever mad-arse beats and bleeps that came to mind, which they did for about five minutes. Then, possibly hearing something that triggered a vague semblance of memory, Mark E Smith wandered out with a fistful of lyrics, in a very fetching slightly shiny jacket, to contribute his noise to proceedings. I’m not sure I understood a word he said all night. The usual then.

After about five minutes, he seemed to lose the thread of what he was saying, so he wandered off again. A bit later, he wandered back on again, pressed some buttons on the table of noise, leafed through his lyrics, found some he liked, and started again. This happened about three or four times in all, before it became apparent he wouldn't be coming out anymore, and so things came to a halt.

It was quite, quite excellent. In fact, one of the mid-30s blokes in dark clothing who was standing next to me told me it was the best thing he’d ever seen. Fair enough. I'm guessing he's never seen Shed Seven though.

To best sum up the experience, this track is apparently Mark E Smith talking to someone, which was recorded, and later added to. I should think that’s how Von Südenfed works, and is a fair approximation of what we were treated to.



Von Südenfed – Jbak Lois Lane


I don’t think they’re going to be playing live too often, so if the opportunity arises, you must take it. In the meantime, buy the album.

So, that was pretty shoddy then. Mission accomplished. I thank you.


Tiny Dancer


Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Caoilte said...

Thanks for the XX Teens track. They weren't great but they showed great promise and I made the terrible mistake of writing the Liars off when I saw them in a similar state. I shall be looking out for more gigs.

You might have missed it, but for a Fall gig there was an alarmingly large proportion of nubile young fashionably coiffeured rock chixx being prematurely deafened at the front. Otherwise all true. It may not have been the best gig ever, but I've never seen the stewards having so much fun in my life.

23/10/07 1:11 pm  
Blogger Tiny Dancer said...

Indeed, I missed the young ladies at the front, as I was safely ensconced with the darkly hued chaps at the back. Birds of a feather and all that.

Perhaps the vitality and brightness at the front was the reason Mr Smith kept nicking off every five minutes? A bit like a vampire and the sun?

23/10/07 6:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debries and I were also in attendance and whilst I believe D enjoyed it, and overall I thought it good and like the album, I found it a little dull live in places I must confess. But then I like George Michael. Due to my attention wandering I did notice the Bright Young Things though. George Michael probably wouldn't have done.

24/10/07 1:48 pm  
Blogger Tiny Dancer said...

Ah. You can take the boy out from his George Michael cds, but you can't take George Michael out of the boy. Or something.

24/10/07 6:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

You have been marked on my profile map! Click to zoom-in.