Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Generic Indie White Boy Sounds



Back in the late 90s, I went for an interview at an art college hoping to study Fine Art. The conversation collapsed for me as we moved to other art forms and, in particular, to music. When asked what I was listening to at that particular time, I reeled off a list of my obsessions du jour... the then current OK Computer and Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space albums and the mainstays of my record collection since childhood - the Motown, Stax and Trojan labels. The interviewer listened patiently to my list before asking if I felt that maybe that was all a bit "generic indie white boy" and asked if I listened to jazz.

Now, doubtless you will be aware that whilst these labels are responsible for many amazing things, "generic indie white boy" music isn't one of them. Indeed, Motown was known to knock out the odd Jazz side back in the early days and many Motown artists (I'm looking at you, The Four Tops) started off in Jazz bands before hitting the big time with Berry Gordy's guiding hand. I had to resign myself to two inescapable facts; firstly, the man was an idiot and secondly, I wouldn't be spending the next three years of my life at his art college. So Mr Art Teacher, here are some of my favourite generic indie white boy stylings for you to get your head around.

From the Stax label we present Philosopher of Soul Johnnie Taylor. Ironically given his status as a flagship Stax artist Johnnie's biggest hit came after he left the label; his first release for Columbia Records was the single Disco Lady, which various biographies assure me was not only a massive American chart hit but also "captured the spirit of the time". The song that grabbed me, however, was a far different beast. In August 1972, Stax staged the one day Wattstax festival to commemorate the 7th anniversary of the Watts riots. Wattstax is often referred to as an answer to Woodstock from the black community; recognising the poverty of the target audience, tickets retailed at $1 to ensure as many people could afford to attend as possible.

I’m 27 years old, so sadly wasn’t even able to attend in conceptual form, but documentary footage of the show is available and is mostly amazing. The standout for me was Johnnie Taylor's performance of I Am Somebody, a powerful, instantly uplifting funk monster. Like all great funk soul masterpieces, it comes in two parts. Get more here.



Johnnie Taylor - I Am Somebody (Part One)

Johnnie Taylor - I Am Somebody (Part Two)


Arguably the best known examples of Motown's experiments with the funk are the psychedelic soul masterpieces Motown golden boys The Temptations released under the guiding production hand of Norman Whitfield, including Ball Of Confusion, Psychedelic Shack, I Can't Get Next To You, Cloud Nine and Papa Was A Rolling Stone, the latter found below in 10 minute wah-wah epic format.

Compare the sonics and lyrics of this to Motown's previous political or topical efforts; say, The Supremes classic, beautifully arranged but comparatively simplistic Love Child, and the rapid development of the label's songwriters still has the ability to surprise. Why Berry Gordy took issue with the political themes of Marvin Gaye's later-released What's Going On? remains a mystery when placed alongside the unremittingly grim tone of the lyrics to this; a gossiped checklist of the faults of a now-deceased absent father as heard through the ears of the children he left behind.



The Supremes - Love Child



The Temptations - Papa Was A Rolling Stone (Full Length Version)


Although now like much Motown material part of the cultural wallpaper, the lyrical material is still remarkably potent. Jamaican superstars The Pioneers take on the song loses none of this drama. The simple, sparse but tense bass remains the same but is given a staggeringly different feel in its new context of an off-beat shuffle. Start off with a greatest hits.



The Pioneers - Papa Was A Rolling Stone


And finally, in belated answer to Mr Art Twat, yes, I do listen to Jazz. Here is the generic indie white boy's favourite/token Jazzer, Miles Davis, from the live album Dark Magus. It's taken from the mid-70s, when Davis was in full-on jazz-funk odyssey mode and may just blow your tiny mind.



Miles Davis - Tatu (Part One)


Casanova Cox


Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad the Pioneers' track cuts off at 2:05.

15/11/07 2:23 am  
Blogger Tiny Dancer said...

Hmm, well spotted - we'll sort that out.

15/11/07 7:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

too bad it cuts off at 4:51 !

28/11/07 6:44 pm  
Blogger Tiny Dancer said...

fuck knows what's going on with it. you get the idea though...

30/11/07 1:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

You have been marked on my profile map! Click to zoom-in.