Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The Theme Tune From Grangemouth



Sometimes, you will read an article about a band that makes you instantly want to rush out and buy their music – and if that music hits home you will always be thankful, and maybe even remember the review that inspired you.

So it is, that had I never read a review many years ago simply stating that The Cocteau Twins were the best band to listen to on a Walkman when visiting a zoo, I might never have fallen under the spell of Elizabeth Fraser. Thank God I did.

The Cocteau Twins were formed in 1980 in Falkirk; at the time Liz Fraser was only 17. It wasn’t too long before they had signed to 4AD and were busy making moody and brilliant music – over the top of which was Liz Fraser’s unique and beautiful voice. It’s impossible to describe her voice (and, both incidentally and controversially, to understand a single word of what she sings in any of The Cocteau Twins songs) so instead, just listen to Sugar Hiccup and you’ll quickly see what I mean.



The Cocteau Twins – Sugar Hiccup


Try also this track from the 4AD label’s mid-80s vanity side project This Mortal Coil on the album It’ll End in Tears, which combined the talents of a host of 4AD bands at the time (actually, that gives me a weak excuse to let you hear Not Me from the same album as well, even though it has nothing to do with Liz Fraser. It does feature Robin Guthrie and Simon Raymonde from The Cocteau Twins though, so there’s a bit of a link and anyway it’s my post so I can do what I want).



This Mortal Coil – Song To The Siren

This Mortal Coil – Not Me


The Cocteau Twins disbanded years ago and Liz concentrates nowadays on painting, but she still records for films and does the odd bit here and there, like this great cover of Robert Wyatt’s At Last I Am Free on the Rough Trade best of 25 years album Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before.



Elizabeth Fraser – At Last I Am Free


She has also collaborated with The Future Sound Of London and of course Massive Attack on the spine-tingling Teardrop, the jewel in the crown of Mezzanine.



Massive Attack - Teardrop


Once you’ve listened to all this and logged on to Sister Ray to buy Stars And Topsoil, the best of The Cocteau Twins, consider the beauty of the idea that the review that originally inspired me is once again causing more Liz Fraser to be heard around the world. It’s enough to make a grown man cry. Although actually, I’m going to eat a pie instead – but you know where I’m coming from.


Crisp Debris


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You have been marked on my profile map! Click to zoom-in.