Monday, December 31, 2007

The Morning Seems So Grey



New Years Eve is generally rubbish I find. It's pretty much a night like any other, although it costs four times as much to do anything, and is compounded by a pressure to enjoy yourself which almost certainly ensures that you probably won't.

Up until last year, for two years in a row I found myself doing the deejaying on New Years Eve. The first year was in a basement in Soho, which held a maximum of 50 people, at a push. The drink was relatively cheap, and I found myself greeting the new year in a double bed that was not my own, having banished it's owner to her living room, after falling asleep at some critical point. It was a shameful performance, which was compounded by a swift exit and a walk of shame around a grey and windy South London. One highlight though, was getting on a bus with a man wearing a fez, the memory of which stands out like a lighthouse in a storm.

The second year was at the sadly demised Spitz. In a rare display of learning a lesson, I managed to make it home without too much disgrace, but with a definite feeling of under achievement. Cake, eat it, all that. Anyway.

It was all a bit hard work, after an unnamed assailant spilt red wine all over the mixer, making it fizz a bit, then crackle a bit, then blow up a bit. The back up mixer was made of wood and didn't really work, which made anticipating what was going to play next a bit of an interesting game. I lost quite a few times, although hopefully not as many times as was realised by the poor paying punters. Brilliant.

And so this year I leave these hallowed shores, for lands of golden sands and grape eating and that, just long enough for the new year's hell to pass me by. If you remain, I can only wish you luck - and leave you these few songs and a little something to help you relive the magic again and again and again and again and again and again. They are a disparate band, but they seemed to do the trick both years when they were asked. Until I return, my friends...



Sultans Of Ping FC - Where's Me Jumper?



Bis - Eurodisco



Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine - The Only Living Boy In New Cross



Big Ben - The Chimes Of Midnight


Tiny Dancer


Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Oakley said...

that sex machine song is the jam!

1/1/08 5:47 pm  
Blogger Tiny Dancer said...

indeed, it is a song of rare and unusual brilliance. the album it's off is also genius - 1992 the love album. debris wrote a review of it when it came out - have to see if we can dig it out...

2/1/08 4:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

You have been marked on my profile map! Click to zoom-in.