Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Seven Deadly Sins Of Tiny Dancing - Part One: Pride



Debris: Ah, yes – pride. That foolish, fickle sin that can cause so much evil in the world – the proud president refusing to admit to his mistaken war; the patriot whose pride in his own country has spilled into hatred against all others; the “I can play all the instruments and produce the whole thing myself” pride behind Terence Trent D’Arby’s disastrous second album...

But of all the seven deadly sins, surely pride is the most likely to also be a positive thing? The pride a parent feels at their child’s achievements? The pride a man feels in a job well done?

Being a glass half-full kind of guy, with this one I’m going for the positive spin, so check out Foolish Fool by Cynthia Richards (originally recorded by Dee Dee Warwick but this is the version that I know and love). It’s a simple song of proud love as Cynthia laughingly suggests that her love rival has got to be a crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy girl to think that she would ever stand a chance of breaking her and Cynth’s man up. Now that’s the sort of girl every guy wants.



Cynthia Richards – Foolish Fool


Stardust: It’s a small step from pride and confidence in your abilities to hubris and one I must be careful not to take every day of my life. They call me a genius; say I’ve crafted the greatest pop songs of my time and that I’m single-handedly beating the Beatles at their own game, but I need to keep a grip on reality and not believe my own hype. I’ve just released one of the biggest, and arguably the best, single of all time and I’ve got another one nearly finished that’s going to even blow that one out of the water (if I can figure out how to put all the pieces together...). I can do anything! But what next? I know; I’m going to write something like Good Vibrations again, except it’s going to be about vegetables and how good they are for you. I’ll even call it Vegetables, or maybe Vega-Tables if I want to get a little w*nky about it. It’ll be the biggest selling single ever in the history of the world. Me and the boys will be singing it at the Superbowl (although I’m not sure I like the idea of going outside – I like my sandpit)! Starving people in other countries that I haven’t heard of will be selling their wells to buy it! Mothers will call their daughters Brian! Sure, my head hurts, I’m putting on a little weight, I think Phil Spector is bugging my toilet and my arsehole cousin has got some problems with my friend’s poems... but I’m a genius, I’m king of the world, nothing can possibly go wrong!!!



The Beach Boys – Vegetables


Dancer: I don’t like Damon Albarn. I like Blur. I like Alex James, I like Graham Coxon, I don’t mind Dave Rowntree. But Damon Albarn, I don’t like. There are doubtlessly lots of reasons for that, and I would be both boring and bitter if I listed them, so I think I can encapsulate them in his Bono endorsed teaboy turn for the Bedingfields et al at the recording of Band Aid 20, despite the fact that he wasn’t even invited. Horrifying. Have some pride, man.


OILY WATER

Lead in me and me in water
Dangling in my world
I swallowed too much oily water
It keeps dripping down my spine

In a sense of self decline
Growing fat on sound
It’s only an early morning dream
And the whole world will be alright

My head is full of suspicion
I’m coming home sometime
I’ve swallowed too much oily water
It keeps slipping down my spine

In a sense of self decline
Lying on my back
It’s only an early morning dream
And so the whole world will be alright



From Modern Life Is Rubbish



Blur – Oily Water


From time to time I have a conversation with Stardust, about the status of Damon Albarn as one of our greatest living song writers. Stardust is for, and I tend to be emphatically against.

Stardust argues me into the tiniest of corners, and despite the fact that he is absolutely right, in the absence of anything else to do, I stick my metaphorical fingers in my allegorical ears and fall back against innate dislike. In the end, I have to rely on unfortunate belligerence to wheedle my way out of admitting that, yes, he is absolutely right.


Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would just like to say that I don't like Albarn much either apart from for comedy value ("You're not listening to the bloody click!). However he is probably the greatest songwriter of our time. I don't like Coxon much either.

By the way, if anyone saw Albarn's adaption of Monkey when they performed it in Manchester please let me know how good it was because I really feel like I've missed something there and I'm hoping someone will tell me it was actually not that great.

9/12/07 4:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

You have been marked on my profile map! Click to zoom-in.